Australian OGTR Approves Field Trial of GM Wheat and BarleyJuly 19, 2017
Australia's Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) has issued a license to the University of Adelaide for the limited and controlled release (field trial) of wheat and barley genetically modified (GM) for abiotic stress tolerance and yield enhancement.
The field trial (License Application DIR 152) is authorized to take place at up to five sites, with up to 3.75 hectares per growing season (across all sites) in South Australia, Western Australia and New South Wales, between July 2017 and January 2021. It will assess the agronomic characteristics of the GM wheat and barley under field conditions. The GM wheat and barley would not be used for commercial human food or animal feed.
The final Risk Assessment and Risk Management Plan (RARMP) concludes that this limited and controlled release poses negligible risks to people and the environment and does not require specific risk treatment measures.
The finalized RARMP, together with a summary of the RARMP, a set of Questions and Answers on this decision and a copy of the license, are available online from the DIR 152 page in the OGTR website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Discuss Upcoming Biosafety Law in Egypt
- Ugandan Government Supports Passage of Biosafety Bill
- Scientists Identify Link Between Plant Nitrogen Uptake and Greenhouse Gas Reductions
- Induced Defences in Tomato Plants Cause Cannibalism among Pests
- USDA Urged to Start Over on Proposed Rule to Revamp Biotech Regulation
- International Team Uncovers How Wheat Lost Battle Against Blast
- CSIRO Releases Australia's Food and Agribusiness Roadmap
- Australian OGTR Approves Field Trial of GM Wheat and Barley
- Scientists Discover Plants Use Calcium to Send Internal Warning Signals of Aphid Attacks
- Pathogen-inducible Ta-Lr34res Expression Confers Disease Resistance in Barley
- Ectopic Expression of OsExtensin-like Gene in Rice Enhances Plant Lodging Resistance
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Harvard Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas to Store Movie Clips in DNA
- Beyond Promises: Facts About Biotech/GM Crops in 2016
- ASTA Launches Plant Breeding Animation Video
- Development of Low-Cesium Rice Plants via CRISPR-Cas
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: