Scientists Discover Plants Use Calcium to Send Internal Warning Signals of Aphid AttacksJuly 19, 2017
Scientists at the John Innes Centre (JIC) have discovered that plants under aphid attack use calcium as a warning signal. They found that when the insect feeds on leaves, it triggers the plant to send calcium into damaged cells. This prompts the plant to signal that an attack is underway, and a larger amount of calcium is then mobilized from within the cell.
The researchers used electrophysiological monitoring and a genetically-encoded fluorescent reporter of calcium to show that calcium is elevated in penetration sites of aphids during the early stages of its attempt to establish a long-term feeding site. They combined this knowledge with evaluation of the genetic response to determine that the elevation of calcium was dependent on specific plant membrane channels.
"Understanding the mechanisms involved in the early stages of feeding may provide information on how we can stop the aphid in its tracks and prevent virus transmission," says JIC Professor Saskia Hogenhout.
For more details, read the JIC News.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Discuss Upcoming Biosafety Law in Egypt
- Ugandan Government Supports Passage of Biosafety Bill
- Scientists Identify Link Between Plant Nitrogen Uptake and Greenhouse Gas Reductions
- Induced Defences in Tomato Plants Cause Cannibalism among Pests
- USDA Urged to Start Over on Proposed Rule to Revamp Biotech Regulation
- International Team Uncovers How Wheat Lost Battle Against Blast
- CSIRO Releases Australia's Food and Agribusiness Roadmap
- Australian OGTR Approves Field Trial of GM Wheat and Barley
- Scientists Discover Plants Use Calcium to Send Internal Warning Signals of Aphid Attacks
- Pathogen-inducible Ta-Lr34res Expression Confers Disease Resistance in Barley
- Ectopic Expression of OsExtensin-like Gene in Rice Enhances Plant Lodging Resistance
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Harvard Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas to Store Movie Clips in DNA
- Beyond Promises: Facts About Biotech/GM Crops in 2016
- ASTA Launches Plant Breeding Animation Video
- Development of Low-Cesium Rice Plants via CRISPR-Cas
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: