Philippines Celebrates the 19th National Biotechnology WeekNovember 22, 2023
The Philippines' annual celebration of National Biotechnology Week (NBW) officially started on November 20, 2023, at the SM Seaside City Cebu, with the theme “Empowering Innovation for a Sustainable Future with Biotechnology.” This year's celebration is hosted by the Philippine Agriculture and Fisheries Biotechnology Program (DA Biotech), in collaboration with various public and private institutions in the country. The week-long celebration of NBW will feature a series of events and activities from November 20 to 24, 2023.
During the opening ceremony, the Undersecretary for Policy, Planning, and Regulations and Chair of the Department of Agriculture (DA) Biotechnology Program Steering Committee, Mercedita A. Sombilla, said that more than the scientific breakthroughs and accomplishments in biotechnology, this year's celebration also aims to inspire young minds and encourage them to pursue careers in biotechnology. Usec. Sombilla said that this year's NBW “highlights the potential of biotechnology to empower us with innovative solutions that address pressing challenges while simultaneously transforming lives and improving the well-being of Filipino people.”
ISAAA Inc., led by Executive Director Dr. Rhodora Romero-Aldemita, launched three of the newest publication materials produced and developed by ISAAA and its partners. These publications include Volume 1 and 2 of Double Helix Magazine, Biotech sQuizbox: All About Gene Editing, and Pinoy Biotek Magazine, which can be downloaded from the ISAAA website. Together with other participating organizations, ISAAA joins the NBW Exhibit, Trade Fair, and Bazaar, where various publications in Bisaya and English versions are showcased and available for everyone who visits the booth.
Visit the NBW Exhibit, Trade Fair, and Bazaar at the Lower Ground Level, Seaview Wing Atrium of SM Seaside Cebu, to learn more about the events and activities of NBW. For more information, visit the Facebook page of National Biotechnology Week.
You might also like:
- Philippines Celebrate 18th National Biotech Week
- Biotech Innovations for a Sustainable Agriculture
- Philippine National Biotechnology Week Spotlights Business Opportunities in the Biotech Sector
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- CRISPR Helps Make Naturally Orange Petunias
- CRISPR-Cas3 Brings New Gene Editing Options for Aquaculture
- Researchers Develop Coated Microbes to Reduce the Use of Chemical Fertilizers
- Philippines Celebrates the 19th National Biotechnology Week
- Nofima and Partners Propose Assessment Framework for Gene Editing in Aquaculture
- Experts Discuss Role of Gene Drives in Addressing Health and Biodiversity Challenges
- Novel AI Method Produces Antimicrobial Peptides
- Halo-Alkaliphilic Microbes Reduce Heavy Metal Pollution in Extreme Environments
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: